Sunday, July 4, 2010

What Does Service Have to Do With the Media?

On Independence Day, it's appropriate to blog about customer service. You see, in America, we all have the freedom to start our own business. But that doesn't mean we're good at it or deserve positive publicity.

Recently, I've been a survivor of horrible customer service on home repairs costing thousands of dollars. Don't you think if I'm spending that kind of money, I have the right to be treated with courtesy? Unfortunately, that is not one of the rights guaranteed in the U.S. Constitution.

Fortunately, I do, by the blessing of being born in the USA, have the right to free speech. And I will exercise that freedom to tell everyone I know about the horrible service and lack of respect I received by a small business based in Georgia. (Please send me a comment or email if you want the name of this foundation repair company). I have posted on Facebook, Tweeted, been re-Tweeted and even mentioned the name of this terrible company on my radio show.

So the lesson here is to offer outstanding customer service! You may not get positive publicity right away, but you will go viral if you treat clients poorly. People will let others know not to use you. Then, instead of just unhappy customers to worry about, you may have to learn about crisis communications.

In my case, I think the offensive company is too stupid to even know that it's being discussed over the Internet and on a radio network. Businesses like this should fail. They do not represent the best America has to offer.

No comments: