Saturday, July 26, 2008

Pitching Tips

Here is a short (we love short), email-appropriate template for pitching yourself to TV producers or guest schedulers:

“With _______________ going on in our nation/world/community, my expertise—(use one phrase here)-- lends itself to helping your audience. So please consider me as a guest on (title of the show). In addition, I may be a good fit because ________________. As for visuals. I have video/jpeg photos/books/props that could lend themselves to a unique/fun/interesting/poignant segment.

“If you want to know more, please read the press release/article/feedback I have added below. Thanks for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you soon.”

If this is true, add this sentence before that last paragraph: "Because I live in __________, I can be at your studio on short notice. Think of me if a guest cancels at the last minute."

Add your contact information, including your website. When people send long, complicated emails, the screeners are likely to delete them without a second thought.

No comments: