Saturday, February 10, 2007

Interview with Max Jaffe, Money Expert

Max Jaffe is a friend of mine from the North Texas chapter of the National Speakers Association. He is an entertaining speaker and conducts money workshops teaching individuals about money and how it works, what it does and what it doesn't do. He says, "This is NOT about investing, it is not about taxes. Before one can invest, one must first get out of debt (why invest with a 7% return when your credit card is charging you 19%???!!!) Before one can get out of debt, one must save, and before one saves, one must understand money and how it works and track spending."

Max helps individuals and couples control their spending so they can get out of the trap of spending more than they make. For the first time since the Great Depression, Americans' saving rate was negative in 2005 and this trend continued into 2006, with a savings rate of -.5% and -1.0%, respectively.

Q: Max, You have been on local and national talk shows. How would you rate your experiences?

Max: My experience on talk/news shows has been wonderful. The hosts and the staff make me feel at home and very relaxed. However, when the camera rolls, and it's live, I got a bit nervous, but I think that's natural. The hosts were very well informed, read my material before the show and asked great questions, exhibiting the fact they did their "homework," which must be tough considering all the stories they cover.

Q: What did you do to get booked? And to get asked back?

Max: I sent the television station a copy of my book and a press release on white papers I had written. The producers said they liked my approach and found my material to be very timely. In order to get asked back, I did everything they asked me to do. I wrote thank-you notes to both the host as well as the producer and mentioned the fact I would love to come back if they ever found the need.

Q: Well, as a reporter and host, I have to pat you on the back for writing thank-you notes. We love to get those, and we don't get very many--so that makes you memorable.
Max, I had the pleasure of watching a couple of your interviews and you seem like a natural on camera. Did you do anything special to prepare?

Max: The only preparation I did was simply read the press release I sent the station. If you know your material, then it's natural to you, and you will look natural. I couldn't imagine being interviewed on a topic for which I wasn't an expert. By being an expert, you are one with your material, so you come off looking natural.

Q: What lessons have you learned about the news media?

Max: The biggest lesson I learned about the media is that they have to look like they know what they're talking about on a HUGE variety of subjects, and that HAS to be difficult. Making it as easy for them as possible allows them to look smart and will get you asked back.

Q: You're right. We journalists are supposed to be an expert in everything and we just can't be, so we depend on our interviewees to know their material. Well, did you think the TV exposure was worth the time and trouble?

Max: It's fun being on television. I didn't tell many people beforehand, and it was even more fun to have people contacting me telling me they saw the show. If you have a crusade, such as helping people with money, since this is something not taught in schools or the home, it's a great idea to try and get a large exposure, which television can provide, and allow you to reach out to many more people than you would have otherwise.

Max, thanks for your time and insight! Max has his own blog, full of money tips. Check it out!

1 comment:

Zan Jones, Founder of Sales JaZ said...

Hi Lorri,
I like your interview with Max. Your interviews with other people are a great way of making your points!
Blog on...
Zan Jones