Monday, July 16, 2007

Mind Your Manners

I don't think it's an accident that we featured an etiquette expert today on our radio show, and then a public relations practitioner cornered me on the phone. Having had a reminder about manners, I didn't want to be rude to the fellow. But I realized it was his behavior that has so offended me in the past that I don't like to work with him... and thus, I seldom schedule the guests he's pitching.

Lesson #1: If your PR agency isn't booking as many appearances as you'd like, maybe it's not you or your topic, maybe it's the agency.

Lesson #2: Be polite. Use nice phone etiquette. That means listening until the other person is finished talking.

Manners matter. No one likes to be badgered. One of the complaints I get about my profession is that reporters are pushy and rude. Let's make a deal. I won't be rude if you won't either.

No comments: