Friday, June 8, 2007

Noisemakers

Recently, a client I was coaching for a radio interview later that afternoon had dropped her young daughter off at a daycare so that the little one would not make any background noise during the interview.

"That's smart!" I told the client.

Too bad not all of the people I interview on my radio show are that smart. It happened again this week. A woman was doing a great job as a guest. She was animated, knowledgeable and interacted well with the callers. Then, we heard a cacophony of pots and pans. On-air talent is taught to acknowledge something that loud, so the listeners won't be alarmed or distracted. My co-host said, "Are you cooking breakfast?" The guest replied, "You heard that?" You think that would've been clue enough for her to stop and focus on the radio show. But then we heard water running.

Please, if you are granted the gift of airtime, do not squander it by getting preoccupied by household chores. In the 15 months I've been hosting a talk show, we've heard guests get email, type on a keyboard, cook bacon, let the dog out and have their cell phone ring.

Turn off the other phones, turn down the computer volume, put the dog outside where we can't hear it bark, and be smart like my client--think of the little ones and the little details that can make a big difference.

No comments: