Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Learning From the Politicians


Last week, I had the pleasure of interviewing former Arkansas governor and 2008 presidential candidate Mike Huckabee. I say "pleasure" because it's always a thrill to interview someone who is forthright, doesn't dodge questions, and is willing to have a little fun in the process. For instance, Governor Huckabee performed a few of his impressions before we tackled more serious topics.

I also asked the candidate about his 100-pound weight loss. He said he learned to avoid meals you get through a car window. He could have said, "Doctors told me to stay away from fast food." But his answer was more interesting.

When I complimented him on doing well in the presidential debates, he didn't boast, nor was he demure. Instead, he said, "It's been a good forum for me."

When we got to issues like the war, he explained his stance in a matter of fact way without condescension or obfuscating jargon.

No matter your political allegiance or presidential choice, you can learn from all soundbite kings. So, keep your eye on candidate Huckabee. Even if you don't like his platform, you might enjoy his impressions.

No comments: