Newspapers may be dying, but news coverage is taking a new twist with many people broadcasting on the Internet. Here are a few tips to make your small screen debut look and sound more polished:
1. Practice before you post. Don't be in such a hurry to upload that the world sees your first-and worst-effort.
2. Pay attention to your background and attire. Some auto-focus cameras will put the flowers in the foreground in sharper focus than you are. Wear a solid color with non-distracting jewelry. Bookshelves or a backdrop are nice in the background, but you should be the main element.
3. Get as close to the microphone as you can to avoid a hollow sound. This may mean getting closer to the camera.
4. If you have to use notes, get them as close to the camera as you can. This will keep you from looking all around or being perceived as shifty-eyed.
5. Aim for vocal variety. Low energy or a monotone will bore your viewers. Let them see and hear your passion for your topic.
Last, consider hiring a coach to tell you what you are doing right and what you need to tweak. An objective third party can keep you from turning into one of those videos that's passed around for all the wrong reasons.