Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Interview with Author Peggy Collins, Part One



My friend Peggy Collins is an expert on networking, sales and stress. She has been a professional speaker, trainer, and consultant since 1987.


She has a terrific new book out titled, Help is NOT a Four-Letter Word. I recommend it to you, especially if you've ever felt you couldn't or shouldn't ask for help. As Peggy points out in her media interviews, "Independence is a great quality--one Americans cherish. But it can be taken to the extreme."


Peggy has been busy with radio stations, magazine writers and more for this important book. So I asked her to share some of her experiences on the publicity tour. She provided these answers from her home in Hendersonville, North Carolina.


Soundbite Coach (SC): Peggy, tell us about the interviews you've had so far.


Peggy Collins (PC): I’ve done 17 radio interviews and many more are coming up. The Internet, Sirius, regular AM and FM, Podcasts - there are radio shows everywhere. This is by far the best way for me to get the word out there – geographically – sitting in my office.


I finally did one TV interview, so now I’m excited about the prospect of doing more. It was interesting how it happened. I called WLOS, our ABC affiliate in nearby Asheville and asked the assignments editor if he’d be willing to give me some TV pointers if I came to the station. He agreed immediately and spent 45 minutes with me on the set, explaining the interviewing process. He really took the anxiety out of it for me. As I left, he suggested I leave one of my books with him for the noon-news anchor, and the rest is history, except to say, that I went to my interview armed with Krispy Cremes, his favorite!


Although I’ve done four booksignings, it didn’t take long to realize that that’s not where its at! Rather than wait for a few people to come to me, I’d rather spend those valuable hours participating in something that drives readers into book stores in larger numbers, like radio interviews.


Print media has picked up steam. A wonderful freelance writer did a very large article for our local The Hendersonville Times News. A dear friend networked me to a writer on The Methodist Reporter who called, interviewed me and wrote a marvelous, long article on the book from a Christan perspective. McGraw Hill’s publicist landed an interview for me with Newsday, the Staten Island newspaper with a circulation of 450,000. I emailed a magazine in Australia suggesting that because I know they have this extreme self-sufficiency problem, they write an article on the book, and it’s in the works as I write, along with several others.


SC: What have you learned about dealing with the news media?


PC: I’ve never met a nicer group of people than those affiliated with radio, TV and print media. They are helpful and supportive. On many occasions when I have cold-called radio stations, they will let me know they don’t do author interviews but will suggest another station and will often give me a producer's name there.


I’ve treated them like I have always treated a prospective client – sharing the benefits to their listeners, following up and sticking to the tight schedules by being there or on the phone on time! And I always follow up with a thank you note or email to let them know how much I appreciate their helping me get the word out there.
As a result, I’ve had several book me again for a return interview, and it’s like they’re old friends.


SC: That's smart, Peggy. We journalists and talk show hosts rarely get thank you notes, so you really distinguish yourself when you do that. What have you learned about interviewing?


PC: You clearly told me to decide what major points I wanted to make and bring the conversation back to those critical points. I have worked on doing that and do it better on some occasions than I do others.


After I’ve finished an interview, I debrief with myself to decide what went well and what I could have expanded on. I find that it takes pre-work to get ready for the different approaches to my subject. Since I’m talking about a self-defeating behavior where we are too self-sufficient, I’ve been called on to apply that concept to: supermoms – parenting - seniors - college kids, professional women, dads, and a host of other specialties.


Because I’m a professional speaker, I really thought I would pick it up quickly, but radio and TV interviews are quite different from speaking. On the radio, of course, you see no one so the feedback you’re getting is from the host, who is really in control of the interview.


The more I do, the more comfortable I’ve become with the process, and as a result, I know I come across more relaxed and fun.


SC: You’ve been on live radio and TV. Is there advice about going live you can share?


PC: Talk as though you’re talking to one special person. Prepare what you’ll answer to any possible questions so that there aren’t "ums" or hesitation.

SC: Has anything embarrassing or funny happened during an interview?


PC: Nothing embarrassing or funny has happened, but I had a host cough through the entire interview last week. I felt so sorry for him, but there was nothing to do but talk over the cough and keep going. It was a taped interview, so I really wonder if they’ll air that one.


SC: Oh, I feel sorry for that host, too. I've been there. That reminds me of a tip for you, Peggy, and others who may have allergies or a cough. Have a cup of warm water or tea close by. It can soothe your throat enough to get you through a spell.

Peggy, you had something exciting happen when a wire service picked up an article about Help. Tell us about that.

PC: Pat Burson with Newsday, the Staten Island newspaper I talked about earlier, interviewed me for a large article about my book. We talked three or four times and became phone-friends. She did a marvelous job, interviewing a psychologist and two “model Self-Sufficients.” Being a novice to all of this, I was delighted to find that the story went out on the wire and has been picked up by several news papers across the country including the Ft. Wayne and Minneapolis papers. I can’t recommend “google alerts” strongly enough when you’re tracking progress.

SC: Peggy, you have so many other good recommendations for those wanting to work with the news media. We'll get to those in Part 2!

No comments: