Saturday, October 20, 2007

Don't Give Up

This year, I have been a full-time coach and speaker and a part-time radio host. I only spend a few hours a day at that job. I tell you that because there are probably other interviewers like me. You, as a prospective newsmaker or guest, are anxious to get booked or hear back from your publicist and you probably think, "Those lazy journalists! Why can't they decide if they want me sooner?"

So that you won't feel rejected or passed over... sometimes it just takes longer for us to get through the stacks of books, letters, emails and phone calls. I might book an author who sent me a book six months ago.

Here are ideas to get you to the top of the stack:

1. Call when we're there. Remember that morning programs likely have staff that work in the morning.

2. If you can find a mutual friend who can genuinely recommend you as a great fit, that helps. When we're trying to find a guest, an endorsement from someone we trust can make a difference.

3. Send an email and make a phone call. I work in an old building with unreliable connections, and the email spam filter is confining. Don't count on the fact that we get your emails.

4. Be persistent, but not pushy. Nothing turns reporters off more than someone who doesn't get the message. If the reporter does not show any interest or says "it's not a fit," move on. If the reporter asks for more information or asks you to call back in a few weeks or months, she's interested. Stay in touch.

No comments: